Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Win

It's been a long time since I have been able to say that about the St. Louis Rams. The St. Louis Rams beat the Detroit Lions Sunday 17-10. The last Rams win was 17 games ago when the Rams beat the Cowboys in St. Louis on Oct. 8th of last year. I was at that game and was shocked we were able to beat them. I have to admit, I never thought I would have to wait 17 more games to say it again.

Steven Jackson had an interesting quote. He once said he got chewed out as a rookie by saying (about a Rams win), "that was an ugly win". In the NFL and especially the Rams, you take any win you can, ugly or not.

The Rams defense played a solid game. The Rams only allowed 289 total yards. Before I start to proclaim we have turned the corner, I have to take a step back and realize the win was against Detroit. Never the less, they did play well. No big plays against the defense, not a lot of penalties either. The Rams only allowed 127 yards rushing on 33 carries. The Rams didn't take the ball away except for one interception by James Butler. Even that took a turn for the worse, when he picked off Stafford in the end zone and decided to bring the ball out. He avoided a tackle, but ran back into the end zone and was tackled for a safety. He admits it was a dumb mistake, but I'll give them 2 points instead of six anytime. That was the biggest mistake the Rams made all day. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot, and finally gave coach Spagnuolo his first head coaching win.

The Rams have a bye week this week, so I can't start thinking about another win just yet. The next week after the bye, the Rams play New Orleans in St. Louis. I can't see the Rams winning that game, New Orleans is on fire right now. I guess I'll look back on this game for awhile and be happy it was a win.

"See you on the hit side" #21

No comments: