Monday, August 13, 2007

DO STATS LIE?

It's here! RAMS football.

During the offseason, it is hard to write about speculation
and what are things to come.

I have never admitted I have a crystal ball and I will try not
to. As I have stated before, I DO have hope.

After last years dismal and disappointing season, the Rams
defensive had to get better. Their performance was one of the
worst I've witnessed in a long time. They finished next
to last in the league against the run.

In my opinion things could only get better. God help us if
it gets worse.

So going into Fridays game, I was optimistic, but apprehensive.

I try to think of myself as a realist. I realized a few things
about the first preseason game.

First of all I realize that the starters would only be in there
for the first 2-3 series.

Second, that some may not start at all.

Thirdly, that the Vikings are not an offensive powerhouse as they
once were. So what happened?

Jim Haslett's defensive unit gave up three first downs & 59 yards
in two series, but no points. I'll take it.

Adam Carriker was impressive in clogging up the middle & stuffing
Adrian Peterson early on. Carriker held his own against five time
all pro center Matt Birk Matt told Linehan after the game,
"He's a load, he's a handful. He's a heck of a player"
High praise indeed for a rookie from a pro bowler. Adrain Peterson
ended up with 33 yards on 11 carries. Overall the Vikings ended up
with 87 yards on the ground and 215 total net yards. Very
respectable indeed, but it was only the first preseason game.

As I said, I'm a realist. Do stats lie? We'll see.


"SEE YOU ON THE HIT SIDE" #21

No comments: